Michael Phelps once told a reporter, “I don’t have a strict diet. It’s all about cramming in as many calories into my system as I possibly can.” If you’re an athlete or your body is like a nuclear reactor when it comes to digesting food, you probably struggle with being hungry ALL OF THE TIME. Its fun to be a bottomless pit when you have all day to make gourmet meals. But unfortunately for most of us, we don’t have a lot of time to do this everyday, and instead, end up consuming empty processed calories.
For athletes and non-athletes alike, breakfast is extremely important in setting the tone of your day. Instead of eating a bowl of cereal that will leave you hungry in ten minutes, try eating something full of taste and nutrition. If you spend a few minutes preparing at the beginning of the week, then the only thing that will change about your morning routine, is the quality of your breakfast. So here is a basic recipe to get you going.
- 4 scrambled eggs
- Can of black beans
- Salsa (pico de gallo is my favorite)
- Sliced avocado
- Bacon (meat optional)
- Trader Joes Chipotle Tortilla
- If you need a few extra calories and some protein, a glass of fairlife milk will do. This milk is packed with more protein than normal milk, and it is lactose free.
Preparation Before the Work Week Starts:
(1) Before the week starts dump the black beans into a separate container. Season them with a little garlic salt and / or red pepper, and then put them in the fridge.
(2) Cook your meat of choice then store it in the fridge.
(3) All of the other ingredients come easily accessible and ready to go.
(4) When you wake up, heat the pan and make as many scrambled eggs as you please.
(5) As the eggs are cooking, take out the tortilla and start adding the ingredients above.
(6) When the eggs are finished add them to your burrito.
(7) Wrap it up and take it to go.
Here’s the difference:
The average bowl of cereal has about 10g of protein and lacks nutritional diversity. On the other hand, this recipe has about 39g of protein (minus the fairlife milk), and is sure to keep you fueled throughout the morning.